google cloudprint *client* for fedora?

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 17:02:34 UTC 2014

On Thursday 06 November 2014 14:26:38 Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2014 13:20:00 Neal Becker wrote:
> > I just got a google cloud enabled printer.  Is there a _client_ for
> > fedora to work via cups?  Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > -- Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it
>
> I've done this on  a couple of workstations, both printing to a remote
> Google Cloud printer and active as a server to allow a traditional printer
> over Google Cloud Print.
>
> I can't remember how to do it, but Googling "Google Cloud Print Linux" is
> all I did to get started.
>
> You will need to install Google Chrome too as this is what's used for both
> the client and server options.
>
> Gary

Just had a quick look at one of by boxes and found the following which I used
to set up a traditional printer as a cloud printer.

The bit you want is the other way round, to be able to print to an already
configured GoogleCloud printer. For this you need to install the following
RPM

[root at lou ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i cloud
cupscloudprint-20140814-1.noarch

Not sure which repository that wa from but may have been from the Google one
shown below.

[root at lou ~]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo
[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
[root at lou ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i google
google-chrome-beta-39.0.2171.19-1.x86_64
[root at lou ~]# ll Downloads/
total 57512
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1722 Jul  2 17:05 generate_cloudprint_config.py.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 58888025 Jul  2 17:01
google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
[root at lou ~]#

(There was a problem with the stable version which is why I then removed it
and installed the beta version. Can't remember what the problem was though.

Then under the user I am using for the service (gary) I did

wget
http://www.google.com/support/enterprise/static/chromeos/docs/admin/en/generate_cloudprint_config.py.zip
unzip generate_cloudprint_config.py.zip
chmod 770 generate_cloudprint_config.py
./generate_cloudprint_config.py

Once the printers were set up an working I created the service unit file and
started it.

[root at lou ~]#
cat /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/googleCloudPrint.service
[Unit]
Description=Google Chrome running headless as Cloud Print Server
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=gary
Group=gary
WorkingDirectory=/home/gary/.GoogleCloudPrint
ExecStart=/usr/bin/google-chrome  --type=service --enable-cloud-print-proxy --no-service-autorun --log-level
2 --enable-logging=stderr --user-data-dir=/home/gary/.GoogleCloudPrint
Restart=always
StandardInput=null
StandardOutput=syslog
StandardError=inherit