Hibernate and lack of docs

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Mon Nov 10 16:42:07 UTC 2014

On 11/10/2014 06:36 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:

>> Please file a bug[1] against the documentation you're referencing,
>> probably the Power Management Guide?  That will help the guide
>> coordinator ensure that the issue is appropriately addressed. Point 1)
>> seems especially relevant, that much should be explicitly clear.
>
> Will do so. Just wanted to get some impressions here before filing a bug.
I see the bug - thanks!

>> fwiw, it seems like hibernation is generally falling out of favor these
>> days.  I know not everyone has newer systems, but those that do have
>> machines that use shockingly little power on suspend, and cold boot
>> faster than a resume from hibernate could ever achieve.
>
> I had a Dell laptop a which I bought about 4 years ago. I almost
> always suspended it (no hibernation) and when it got to 14 months
> (warrant was over) it died (hard die, like in motherboard chip got
> fried).
>
> The guy in Dell told me not to suspend the laptop, at least not for
> long periods of time, which really surprised me.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?  I've had Dell laptops from then, older,
newer.  Suspend triggered by lid close was the normal disuse state for
all, with periodic hard halts due to battery depletion :)  Generally,
some laptops fail, and some don't - unless there's an explicitly clear
impetus, ie prolonged dirty power or physical damage, there's a lot of
speculation involved.  It seems to be more common with machines equipped
with heat-producing dedicated graphics, so I avoid them.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Power_Management_Guide/pr01s02.html

> Thanks.

Sure, just because hibernation has 'fallen out of favor' doesn't mean
you shouldn't expect it to work :)  The kernel devs are good about
triage, filing a bug there would be a good start even if the kernel
isn't directly at fault (systemd, maybe?)

- --
- -- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader
 - 'randomuser' on freenode