Hibernate and lack of docs

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 03:09:47 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Martín Marqués <martin at 2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
> > 1) I had trouble getting the system to hibernate. There wasn't
> > anything clear about the fact that you needed to have a swap bigger
> > than the amount of memory you have. Also, it doesn't work if you have
> > a file as swap (which was the easiest way to start testing)
>
> I don't think swap size has to be bigger than size of RAM. Arch Linux
> has a good note on size of swap partition [1] which links to kernel
> documentation[2]. I used to make 4GB of swap partition on a system
> with 8GB of RAM on Arch Linux. Anaconda makes 7.6GB of swap partition
> on same machine.
>
> Swap file does support hibernating. Again refer to Arch Linux wiki [3].
>
> I have tried both of the above scenarios myself. I have switched to
> Fedora and I use btrfs filesystem, so, I can't provide any more info.
> I have Thinkpad T420i.

I actually tried the swap size around Fedora 7 and RHEL 5, an found out
RAM * 1.2 is sufficient.

I have stuck which this configuration, and never have trouble since.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Email: dchen at redhat.com

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199
Website: www.redhat.com

Red Hat, Inc.
Facebook: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat Japan | Red Hat Korea | JBoss APAC
Twitter: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat ANZ
LinkedIn: Red Hat APAC | JBoss APAC