Progress Re: Configuring a printer on a server without a GUI

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Nov 12 19:25:22 UTC 2014

On 11/11/2014 11:00 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-11-11 at 12:59 -1000, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> One, I don't see Sever>Connect on my F20 gnome notebook.
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/system-config-printer.git/plain/data/screenshot-mainwindow.png
> You don't see that "Server" entry in the menu bar?
>
>> Two, Remote Desktop, needs a desktop, and a minimal install has no desktop.
> So, you have a minimal install on which you want to run a CUPS server.
>
> You can another machine that does have a graphical desktop (or are you
> typing these emails on a console?). On that machine you are using, run
> system-config-printer and connect to CUPS server machine from it.

This is interesting.  system-config-printer on my notebook does NOT show
the printer I configured with CUPS via the http interface.  So I did
another printer add with it and both show in the http printer list.
Test page from printer app works.  Printing via enscript from the
command line as root fails with 'filter failed'.

So I do need to figure out what this error is all about.  Google
searching is not really helping in solving the problem.