Progress Re: Configuring a printer on a server without a GUI

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Nov 13 21:04:05 UTC 2014

On 11/13/2014 10:40 AM, poma wrote:
> On 13.11.2014 19:34, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Turn on verbose logging:
>>>
>>> su -c 'cupsctl --debug-logging'
>> Nope.  Still no error_log.
>>
>> In access_log I see:
>>
>> localhost - - [13/Nov/2014:13:23:49 -0500] "POST /printers/HP-TR-8610
>> HTTP/1.1" 200 307 Create-Job successful-ok
>> localhost - - [13/Nov/2014:13:23:49 -0500] "POST /printers/HP-TR-8610
>> HTTP/1.1" 200 16074 Send-Document successful-ok
>>
>> while when I look at the printer queue via the cups web interface I am
>> told that the State is:
>>
>> Stopped "Filter failed"
>>
>> I only have a bit more time here for testing, flying home tonight and
>> can then test on my home test network (where I have an HP 8600, pretty
>> much the same driver).
>>

> We do not know whether the device is defective or not in the first place, therefore.

You mean the printer?  It is the printer here at IETF terminal room.  I
have no problem printing to it with enscript from my F20 notebook via cups.

If you mean the server I am trying to print from?  Well that is in part
the question.  Am I missing something that did not get installed with
cups and hplip, or is there a bug for me to run down, as the server is
running f21 beta.

I can't yet take this to f21 bugs, as I just don't know where to
troubleshoot it to get the information to put into a bug report other
than printing is failing with 'Filter failed'.

Remember that I said system-config-printer remote was able to print the
test page through the server to the printer.  It is when I use enscript
via command line on the server that I get the failure.

I use enscript to print text file documents (e.g. IETF RFCs) in a nice
way, so I am familar with it.  If there is something simpler for me to
test with, I am all for that.