Clearing the unallocated disk space

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 17 04:17:37 UTC 2014

On 11/16/2014 04:10 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> On 11/16/2014 03:01 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
>> The Fedora 20 repo includes a utility called 'scrub' and it has
>> a mode to scrub free space.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Before sending the drive for warranty service, what is the best
>> way to clean the unallocated blocks?
>>
>> The rest of the files on disk are OK - standard installation,
>> ... etc.
>> All home dirs are deleted, tmp dirs, logs ....etc all deleted.
>> If you can think of other things to delete, pls let the world
>> know.
>
> Thanx Ted.
>
> I had forgotten all about scrub.
> Now if only someone would tell me how to locate the journal blocks.
>
> If I mount the drive with the journaling disabled, will the blocks
> usually used for journaling become free blocks, and thus be covered
> by scrub???

jd,

hard disk drive manufactures _are_not_ NSA. you _are_not_ NSA.

they do not connect hdd's to computers and try to read drives to
see what is on them. to do so is a waist of their time.

they connect hdd to a hdd test device that has programs to do just
one thing, *test* the drive. said programs are close to what they
supply to computer users use to check a drive, only more intensive.

the device does the writing and reading and makes comparisons of
read to what was written. this is done many times and when a drive
has failed. if errors are for a small section of sectors, sector
table is rewritten to assign spare sectors. if failure is excessive,
new disk platters are installed in housing. if failure is in
electronics, a new electronics board is installed. after which,
drive is resold as a _rebuilt_ drive.

if have sent several hdd's back to oem for warranty replacement
after running oem test with out concern of oem finding out about
what was on drive because i had already run diagnostics.

you can verify this by contacting oem and ask them just what they
do to test a drive. you may, tho i doubt, find info about drive
testing on their web pages.

do be aware of this, FBI, NSA and several other .gov agencies do
have ways of recovering user info and those ways usually work,
because of many wear factors that cause data to be left on drive.

if you want to know what they are, search internet for hdd forensics.
you will/may be surprised at what has to be done. but it is not
always productive.

in your case, apply this;

   non procrastination of the infinitesimal

iow;

   do not sweet the small shit

--

peace out.