Clearing the unallocated disk space

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 17 11:43:51 UTC 2014

Tim:
>> There have been cases of people getting refurbished drives which did
>> have the previous owners data on them.

Ed Greshko:
> Do you have first hand knowledge of this or is this something you've
> just heard about?

I read about it on the internet, so it must be true...  ;-)  But
seriously, I should have said there's been "reports" of such a thing
"allegedly" happening, just to cover myself.  Of course we'll never know
if it's true, but I can see how it can happen by accident.  All it needs
is for someone dealing with a batch of drives, to accidentally skip a
step in handling incoming and outgoing, and one pending drive
erroneously becomes a done one.

Are *all* manufacturer's strict about how they manage it?  Do some
people return a drive through their dealer, rather than straight back to
the manufacturer, and might a dealer not bother to properly handle it?

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.2-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 18:28:00 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.