User friendly proxy configuration

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Nov 18 09:22:54 UTC 2014

On 18Nov2014 02:31, Bill Shirley <bshirley at memphis.apirx.biz> wrote:
>You can put this in your ~/.bashrc:
>export http_proxy="http://127.0.0.1:3128"
>export ftp_proxy="ftp://127.0.0.1:3128"

They both need to be "http://127.0.0.1:3128/"; the proxy protocol is HTTP,
hence the same scheme for each. Also https_proxy. Of course, adjusted for
whatever is correct.

>I'm not sure how many utilities use it but I think wget does.

Quite a few.

However, the point of the OP was to set this at a system level as a default for
many machines, so the .bashrc is pretty much the worst place to want to put
this, being a per-user setting (and only for those using bash, and only for
settings where that is involved in invoking applications).

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

I thought back to other headaches from my past and sneered at their
ineffectiveness.        - Harry Harrison