Annoyances with mate DT

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Sun Feb 1 04:52:45 UTC 2015

> On 01/31/2015 07:15 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> On 01/31/2015 05:23 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>>> For a while (like a few weeks), mate was saving the apps running on the
>>> DT when I shutdown the system, and they would be auto started on
>>> reboot.
>>> Slowly, some apps no longer get started.
>>> This behavior first manifested 2 or 3 months ago when the
>>> mate-terminals
>>> would no longer be started on reboot.
>>> Then it was ktorrent.
>>> Now, added to that is smplayer.
>>> I had raised a bug with mate, but the bug report was rejected.
>>> I am on the verge of dumping Mate altogether. Cinnamon is just
>>> not mature enough, and I literally detest gnome3. It does nothing
>>> that I want or like.
>>>
>>> Hope that future fedora users who want to switch to mate might
>>> see this and decide if they still want to run mate.
>>>
>> I'm not sure I understand your complaint. I run Mate, and I have, for a
>> while now. from Fed 20 to now fed21..
>> though I don't autostart MUCH, I do autostart teamviewer and Samsung
>> Smartpanel..
>>
> Not much to understand.
> When I shutdown, and I have a few gui apps running,
> and I reboot, mate no longer restarts what gui apps were running
> when I shutdown, that is to say what used to be restarted on
> re-login, no longer get restarted on re-login.

 When I was writing Linux Utilities Cookbook, my publisher wanted a
chapter on some the desktops that were available. I can say from my
research that Mate, at least for me, seemed to be the best one. This is
just my opinion, and no I don't want to start a GUI which-one-is-best?
discussion. I am just saying that if you really like Mate you are
probably not going to like any of the alternatives.

 I have to admit I didn't realize Mate even HAD an auto start feature. I
probably wouldn't use it since I rarely reboot my systems (I wrote a
script that sets up my terminal sessions) but it's nice to know that
feature is available.

Jim Lewis