DHCP Reservations

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 3 14:25:29 UTC 2015

I wrote:
> I seem to recall being able to do that, with the DHCP server on my
> Fedora Core 4 installation (having two separate MAC matching clauses
> that applied the same IP).  Other servers may try to prevent you doing
> that, as it can be problematic.

Just following up, since I wasn't clear.  My comment was along the same
lines as the original poster, trying to see what would happen if I
assigned the same IP to wireless or wired network interfaces on my
laptop, where only one of them would be active at any one time.

The reason I tried, was that it was annoying having changing addresses,
one way or another.  Whether that was the IP address, or the named
address attached to the current IP.

For instance, my hostname might be wired.example.com or
wireless.example.com, because the IP changed.  Either change brought
about their own set of nuisances.

And, no, the common Fedora approach of associating your desired machine
hostname against 127.0.0.1 is not a sensible alternative, either.

Having multiple interfaces is a nuisance, and the best I could come up
with was having to use the GUI to manually disconnect one device or the
other, not letting any automatic system attempt it.

A whole slew of other problems came about should both interfaces be up
and active at the same time.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.17.8-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jan 9 00:01:03 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.