shutdown doesn't shut down

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 5 07:38:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> FYI: On the Intel, I found changing "Wake up on LAN from S4/5" in the UEFI
> setup to "disabled" makes "shutdown now" working (This mobo has plenty of
> tuneable settings in its BIOS/UEFI setup).
>
> I don't understand this, but ... well, kernel bug, UEFI bug?

I don't know. Could be either, but if I were at a bar making a drink
bet, I'd go with the firmware.

>> sync && poweroff -f
>

> This indeed shutdowns/powers off the Lenovo - Anything else I tried,
> doesn't!
>
>> If that still results in a reboot, it's a kernel bug, according to
>> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#index2h1
>>
>> If power is shut off, then you've got some shutdown script or unit
>> actually instigating the reboot, and this can probably be logged by
>> following the instructions in the URL above.
>

> What would you suggest me to do wrt Lenovo? File a another bug against
> systemd, this time specifically for the Lenovo?

You need to go through the process in the URL above, which will cause
systemd to do a late remount of rootfs and write to a file everything
that happens after what ought to be a shutdown. That file is what
needs to get attached to a new bug and what component.

So the way to do it in the summary is basically: All these ways to
shutdown actually do a reboot (examples), but poweroff -f works
correctly. Following
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#index2h1
attached is shutdown-log.txt.

Chances are you can look in that file and figure out what the problem
is, what component to file the bug for. But if it's not obvious you
could file it against systemd. Just that it gets attention faster if
you get the right component from the get go.

--
Chris Murphy