shutdown doesn't shut down

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Feb 7 00:31:35 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> It went down and immediately rebooted.
>
> I have other log from other attempt, but sorting them out is a bit
> difficult.

It's quite tedious yes.

The only other thing I can think of is to compare 'systemctl
list-unit-files' on a live media boot, and the currently installed
system, and disable everything  on the current system that isn't
enable or doesn't exist on the live media boot. That way you should
have boot parity. If the problem goes away, then it's some unit file.
Maybe enable 1/2 of them and try again...kinda like bisecting. If you
can't reproduce the problem with all the unit files in parity between
live media and current boots, then it's something else that maybe
isn't using a native systemd unit. Maybe it's a legacy init script?
Actually that might be worth checking before the systemd unit files.
Clearly it's related to something either being startedup or qutting at
poweroff time, and it's doing something wrong, acting almost like a
watchdog. Some process dies and the watchdog does an "oh crap!" and
reboots the system before systemd can actually complete the poweroff.
Whereas poweroff -f skips all the normal nice quit sequence of
services and goes straight to telling the kernel to power off the
hardware.

--
Chris Murphy