Picasa install error fed21

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 7 04:06:48 UTC 2015

Allegedly, on or about 06 February 2015, Paul Cartwright sent:
> trying to install picasa-3.0.5744-3.i386.rpm
> on fedora 21 x86_64.
>
> I get this error:
> Transaction check error:
>   file / from install of picasa-3.0.5744-3.i386 conflicts with file from
> package filesystem-3.2-28.fc21.x86_64
>   file /usr/bin from install of picasa-3.0.5744-3.i386 conflicts with
> file from package filesystem-3.2-28.fc21.x86_64
>   file /usr/lib from install of picasa-3.0.5744-3.i386 conflicts with
> file from package filesystem-3.2-28.fc21.x86_64
>
> I googled & found a similar error and it said to use rpm -U --force..
> not sure if that is a good idea when the package is filesystem

Sounds like the same tomfoolery involved with installing google-earth,
it wants to own a system directory (/usr/bin) that it has no business
doing.

There was a thread about that, about one or two weeks ago, that I
followed to force google-earth into installing without stomping on
system directories, using rpmrebuild on google-earth to change its
demands.  Here's that message:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-January/457944.html

You could try using it as a template, and look for the three system
filepaths your error threw up, and do the same trick with them.

NB:  Look through the report you get on the work it does, it'll say
where the newly built RPM is located.

The issue has been around for a long time, and I don't know why google
doesn't fix their broken packages, instead of expecting users to kludge
things, other than sheer arrogance.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.