Adobe not providing linux flash updates

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Feb 10 08:44:57 UTC 2015

On 02/10/2015 11:42 AM, poma wrote:
> On 09.02.2015 22:28, Fred Smith wrote:

>>> I just installed the 64 bit rpm for version 442 of flash I
>>> downloaded from Adobe's website, put a symlink into
>>> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (the upstream version of 64 bit firefox
>>> looks for its plugins in /usr/lib) to where the rpm placed the
>>> plugin, remove pluginreg.dat, started firefox and issued
>>> about:plugins which firefox says it is picking up from
>>> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but it says the version is 11.2.202.310
>>> still, why is this occurring?
>>
>> Seems likely that SOMEWHERE there is still a copy of the old version
>> that FF is finding instead of the one you want.
>>

> $ grep -A1 /libflashplayer.so pluginreg.dat

I've just booted linux after getting home from work, started firefox and
checked the plugins and firefox is now showing the right version, seems
that I had to reboot linux for the rpm installation and the symlinks to
take effect. On reflection maybe the ldconfig cache was causing issues
as this would have been refreshed with the reboot.