(La)TeX suddenly can't find anything

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:24:40 UTC 2015

I've been using LaTeX on a fully updated Fedora 21, but now suddenly
even TeXing the simplest plain TeX file produces this:

warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/ls-R: No usable
entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/ls-R: No usable entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: No usable
entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/ls-R: No usable
entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded format=tex)

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/ls-R: No usable
entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/ls-R: No usable entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: No usable
entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/ls-R: No usable
entries in ls-R.
warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.
tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
found (ls-R missing?).
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `tex.fmt'!

There are a few ls-R files around, and all but one are binary files
(see below) which surprises me, but rpm -V on the package that
contains them doesn't complain. (The one that is a plain text file has
only this:

 % ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
./:
.:
ls-R

in it.)

file says of the binary ls-R files that they're xz compressed; and
after uncompressing them, file reports this:

ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
BuildID[sha1]=d1cc6893beed5454b21594f2dff8f27b6d9fad7d, not stripped

Can this be related to a recent filesystem problem on / ? I've
reinstalled all texlive packages after noticing and repairing it.

And, most importantly, what should I try?

Andras