boot partition too small

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Feb 15 20:34:01 UTC 2015

Stuart McGraw writes:

> I made a mistake when I installed my Fedora 21 system -- I
> specified a /boot partition size of 200MB rather than the
> recommended 500MB -- and didn't notice my mistake until
> I had too much time invested in the install to redo it to
> correct the size.  (I am using plain vanilla ext4 partitions
> not lvm).
>
> When I tried to do a yum upgrade today (which includes a
> new kernel) it failed with a message that my boot partition
> space was short by 6MB.
>
> What can I do to fix or mitigate this problem?  There are
> currently 3 kernels and a forth (the biggest) with "rescue"
> in its name.  Do I need that if I create a rescue CD to
> boot from?  Can I arrange things to keep only one extra
> kernel instead of two?  How?

Your only practical option is to remove the oldest kernel, which should
allow you to update, and change the installonly_limit setting in
/etc/yum.conf

Unless your /boot partition is the physically last one on your hard drive,
which is unlikely, reformatting and reinstalling is pretty much the easiest
way to rearrange your partitions, and give /boot enough space. It is also
possible to do this if one was actually using RAID-1 across two disks, but,
of course, that means nothing to you.