F21 on UEFI

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Sun Feb 15 23:47:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-15 11:59, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I suggest booting live media with and without the legacy option
> enabled, and compare dmesg from both boots. Check things like video
> and trackpad support (if this is a laptop) and also the libata
> messages for what linkage is made with the drive. This is highly
> mixed, but on all of my EFI Macs, when I use the CSM-BIOS the SSD
> falls back to a much slower IDE link whereas native EFI mode it uses a
> SATA rev 3 link at full speed. This just really depends on the
> compatibility support module being used by the firmware, it's not a
> kernel thing.
>
> Certainly in the short term it's fine to use the legacy option, but
> I'd say better than even odds you'll eventually want to reinstall the
> OS with the legacy option disabled. There is a way to do a conversion
> but it's tricky and not exactly documented anywhere as far as I know.
> MBR>GPT, create ~100-500 MB ESP somewhere, install efibootmgr, shim
> and grub2-efi packages, update fstab, run grub2-mkconfig, change grub
> symlink to point to new grub.cfg location so grubby can find it, run
> dracut, and that ought to just about do it.
>

> Chris Murphy

I agree.

If you are not using Windows on the machine, I would still install with
the UEFI options as it may work just as easy as with the legacy mode.

I have installed Fedora on three UEFI machines and only have one with an
issue.  Wanted to keep the dual boot options for Windows (needed for one
stupid program).

One machine had an issue when I was playing with the boot settings.
Windows won't boot (not a major loss on that machine).

Installation was very easy.

One machine left to do and that has been an issue as the Fedora disk
won't boot on the machine due to secure boot.

I do prefer GPT partitions over the old partitions though.

Robin