Passwords stored by Firefox

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 16 12:16:52 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 05:56 AM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> It's a hell of a long time since I did probabilities in high school
>>> maths, but if you just use letters instead of numbers, each position
>>> could be any of 26 characters (instead of 10 options)
>
> g:
>> or maybe they did not teach you correctly. ;-)
>>
>> and, it is really not a probability calculation.
>
> Nah, it's my memory.  And, of course, not "probability" (which is what
> something else might be, based on what happened before, and not
> applicable to this situation), but combinations (how many possible
> combinations could there be).
>
> Which surely had to be 26 by 26 by 26, etc., for the number of
> characters used in the password.  The first character could be anything
> from A to Z (26 choices), likewise with each subsequent character.  It's
> a base-26 number, instead of base-10 decimal number.
>
> Anyway, bloody huge.

also, just imagine how huge the 1x2x3x4... combinations would be if you
use both upper and lower case letters. ;-)

all of which is why i do agree with what is on the 2 grc.com pages
i posted.

if i ever have need to do the calculations again, i am going to write
a script to do it. using a calculator is a lot of trouble. LOL.

--

peace out.

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.