boot partition too small

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 17 02:15:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Stuart McGraw writes:
>
>> Also, I hadn't realized the boot partition could be anywhere,
>

> There could be some limitations with large hard drives, and some BIOSes.

That's a good point, the firmware can be a limiting factor and make it
seem like a GRUB limitation. One example I've run into once is trying
to boot from mdraid56 with many disks, it's possible for the BIOS to
not enumerate as many disks as the minimum number for degraded use and
thus can't be booted from. If some ancient BIOS doesn't support 48-bit
LBA, then there could be a problem where the boot partition begins
too.

--
Chris Murphy