Fedora 21 Workstation - Agere ET-131x network card not working

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:02:49 UTC 2015

On 17.02.2015 17:26, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 02/17/2015 05:09 PM, Meikel wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I installed fedora 21 workstation but the Agere ET-131x network card
>> doesn't work. Is it possible to get the network card working on Fedora 21?
>>
>> I installed Debian 7.8 which supports that hardware. Then I ran lsmod,
>> which showed the following:
>>
>> lsmod | grep et131
>> et131x     32003  0
>> libphy       18521  1  et131x
>>
>> Perhaps this information is helpful to give me some instructions about
>> how to get the network card working on Fedora 21. Thanks a lot.
>
>  From what I see from Fedora's kernel sources, the et131x module is not
> configured to be build into the Fedora kernel:

> # CONFIG_DVB_AS102 is not set
> # CONFIG_ET131X is not set
> # CONFIG_SLICOSS is not set
>
> So, you'd need to build a custom kernel or try to persuade the kernel
> maintainers to add it.
>
> Ralf

$ cat /usr/src/kernels/3.18.7-200.fc21.x86_64/drivers/net/ethernet/agere/Kconfig
#
# Agere device configuration
#

config NET_VENDOR_AGERE
	bool "Agere devices"
	default y
	depends on PCI
	---help---
	  If you have a network (Ethernet) card belonging to this class, say Y
	  and read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
	  <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>.

	  Note that the answer to this question doesn't directly affect the
	  kernel: saying N will just cause the configurator to skip all
	  the questions about Agere devices. If you say Y, you will be asked
	  for your specific card in the following questions.

if NET_VENDOR_AGERE

config ET131X
	tristate "Agere ET-1310 Gigabit Ethernet support"
	depends on PCI
	select PHYLIB
	---help---
	  This driver supports Agere ET-1310 ethernet adapters.

	  To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module
	  will be called et131x.

endif # NET_VENDOR_AGERE

$ grep NET_VENDOR_AGERE /boot/config-3.18.7-200.fc21.x86_64
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_AGERE is not set

Ask Josh to:

CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_AGERE=y
CONFIG_ET131X=m