Disabling the UPS alarm using Linux

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Fri Feb 20 05:46:58 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-16 21:45, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 18:30:57 -1000,
>   Jim Lewis <jim at jklewis.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know this has always been hard/impossible to do but I thought I would
>> ask in case this had finally been resolved. I tried using upscmd but it
>> can't find the APC UPS (USB). The man page and other documentation is
>> pretty bad. I already use apcupsd to monitor my various UPS units so I
>> tried using the apctest program. All it can do is perform the alarm test
>> function. Everything else comes back with a message saying it can't do
>> whatever it is I want to do.
>>
>> Any pointers appreciated. Yes, I realize I could find a blows box
>> somewhere, load the Powerchute program, and disable the alarm that way.
>
> You could look at using nut to manage your UPSes. There is a command for
> setting parameters, but I don't know if will turn off the (audible?)
> alarm for your particular UPS. upsrw or upscmd would be what you want,
> but you need to be using nut to monitor the UPS and you need to do some
> config file setup.

I have changed alarm status on my APC ups's with no issues using
apctest.  It depends on the ups.

I ensure that my apcupsd.conf file is configured correctly and go form
there.  Stop apcupsd first and then run apctest.

This is from the ups on my desktop machine .

  sudo apctest

2015-02-19 22:42:52 apctest 3.14.12 (29 March 2014) redhat
Checking configuration ...
sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
cable.type = USB Cable
mode.type = USB UPS Driver
Setting up the port ...
Doing prep_device() ...

You are using a USB cable type, so I'm entering USB test mode
Hello, this is the apcupsd Cable Test program.
This part of apctest is for testing USB UPSes.

Getting UPS capabilities...SUCCESS

Please select the function you want to perform.

1)  Test kill UPS power
2)  Perform self-test
3)  Read last self-test result
4)  View/Change battery date
5)  View manufacturing date
6)  View/Change alarm behavior
7)  View/Change sensitivity
8)  View/Change low transfer voltage
9)  View/Change high transfer voltage
10) Perform battery calibration
11) Test alarm
12) View/Change self-test interval
  Q) Quit

Select function number:

I have used gapmon to monitor the UPS status.

http://www.apcupsd.org/

I admit, it took me time to get the config file working correctly.

Robin