How to configure the firewall for VPN PPP connections?

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Feb 20 19:51:09 UTC 2015

On 02/20/2015 11:27 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 02/20/2015 10:00 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
>> The truth, Gordon, is that after changing the firewall configuration
>> as described in the referred site, the issue was fixed.
>
> Yes, I understand that.  But it sounds like GRE was allowed previously
> because it was "RELATED" to the pptp TCP connection before a kernel
> upgrade, but afterward it required a rule to allow it unconditionally
> (which is bad).
>
> I can't test that because I don't have any PPTP servers available,
> because PPTP is very bad security-wise.
>
> It would be useful to remove the rules that you added and verify that
> the PPTP connection fails.  Then, boot an older kernel which was known
> to previously work and test the connection.  If it works, then there's a
> kernel bug that should be reported.

You could restrict permitting GRE to the IP of the VPN gateway if you
want more security, e.g.

firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --add-rule ipv4 filter INPUT 0 -p gre
-d <ip-addr-of-gateway> -j ACCEPT
firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --add-rule ipv6 filter INPUT 0 -p gre
-d <ip-addr-of-gateway> -j ACCEPT
firewall-cmd --reload