F21 partitioning circus

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sun Feb 22 19:56:23 UTC 2015

On 22.02.2015, Matthew Miller wrote:

> The installer UI is intended* to present meaningful decisions,
> and make those choices easier and more straightforward..

When I chose "custom partitioning", I actually chose to do things on my own,
which however won't be the case. That's weird. There's the possibility for all
the others to chose automatic partitioning, which will take care of those who
doesn't want to fiddle around. A custom mode should be.. custom.

> ..by not necessarily offering all the possibilities when
> the result is effectively the same.

If the result is effectively the same is something the installer or those who
implement the different partitioning checks/options actually can't know. There
are some corner cases where this would be impossible, and I thought this is
what a "custom partitioning" is for.

Btw: I noticed that not only the partitioning scheme gets altered by using an
extended partition where I didn't want it to have, but also the partition
numbers itself get replaced while configuring.