Network printer out of ink weirdness

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Sun Feb 22 21:17:15 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

  I have already found a solution to the problem I am about to discuss, I
am just posting this in case it can help someone else. I am also
wondering if there was a better way in case I missed it.

 I have a Fedora 14 desktop, an F20 laptop, and 2 F21 laptops. All run
wireless except for the desktop. All all 64-bit. I have a wired network
connected Epson WF-2540 printer, using the Foundation driver
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm. I can print and
scan from any machine without issues (well, thanks to some previous help
from this forum).

 The other day the printer said it was low on ink. It would still print
(and look fine) so I kept using it. Maybe that was a bad idea? It
eventually said it was out of ink (black) and refused to print anything
else. Fine, I put it in Replace Cartridge mode and replaced it. I first
tried my F14 desktop system since I use it for most everything. The
printer icon still had the warning emblem on it and would not print
anything. In system-config-printer I fiddled with the Enable button and
eventually got it working again. Okay, fine, so I do the same with my F21
systems. They work as well.

  Now comes the fun part: I do the same with my F20 laptop but it refuses
to print anything, I then realize it can't even ping it. All of the
other machines can ping (192.168.1.10) but not F20. F20 can ping
everything else, and is on the Net. I close down and then reactivate the
wireless interface, no good. I reboot, which I despise doing, no help
(this really pissed me off). I look at the router, no help there. I do
an strace on ping and get this at the bottom:

ioctl(1, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_NEXT_DEVICE or TCGETS,
{B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = 0
ioctl(1, TIOCGWINSZ, {ws_row=33, ws_col=118, ws_xpixel=0, ws_ypixel=0}) = 0
sendmsg(3, {msg_name(16)={sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(0),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.10")},
msg_iov(1)=[{"\10\0\34\377\16P\0\1\310
\351T\0\0\0\0Vg\6\0\0\0\0\0\20\21\22\23\24\25\26\27"..., 64}],
msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, 0) = 64
recvmsg(3, 0x7fff53ff24e0, 0)           = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
unavailable)

 It will do this forever. I tried traceroute but it just returns the
asterisks as expected.

 So, what happened here? Is this a bug somewhere or did I miss something
(again)? Or maybe this was corrected in F21. I was able to get around
this problem by switching to the wired interface. It could now ping the
printer, and then I could fiddle with the Enable setting
(system-config-printer) to get it going again. After a few test pages I
then switched back to wireless and that is now also working fine.

 What did I miss? I did not do anything to the printer during this time.

Jim Lewis