F21 partitioning circus

Alex Regan mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 00:19:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 02/22/2015 06:43 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Heinz Diehl <htd+ml at fritha.org> wrote:
>> On 22.02.2015, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Windows, OS X installers have maybe 2-3 total layouts between them.
>>> And their installers are completely, totally, bullet proof. They don't
>>> ever crash, or ask the user to create required partitions, they always
>>> succeed in their penultimate goal which is to install a bootable OS.
>>
>> Frankly, the vast majority of the users of those operating systems
>> aren't even capable of installing them by themselves.
>
> The users don't know these things because they don't have to know
> them, not the other way around. There's no benefit in them knowing
> such things it's not intrinsically valuable knowledge for the
> majority. It's sufficient that a scant minority know such things.
>
> Look at even Android and cyanogen. Look at the reinvention of all OS's
> for mobile devices and how much simpler things are when constraining
> choices. Chromebooks are in that same category. Simple. Just works.
> They picked a layout and stuck with it.
>
> And that's not to say the layout of my cyanogen phone is exactly
> simple, it uses GPT partition scheme, and has 28 partitions. (Of
> course that's not by my choice, I had no say.)

On a somewhat-related note, is it now possible with F21 to create a
RAID1 /boot?

I can see this as being one reason for an "escape to parted/fdisk" option.

I'm curious why this option has been so elusive for anaconda over the
years? A situation where a failed /dev/sda in an otherwise RAID5 system
is really unfortunate and requires a whole lot of extra work when things
go bad.

Thanks,
Alex