F21 partitioning circus

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Feb 23 06:23:18 UTC 2015

On 02/22/2015 09:01 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> What Anaconda did with new UI is break with that tradition, and
> emphasize final results, not the nutty esoteric details of how to get
> there. Where it still frustrates is how it doesn't convey this
> worldview very well to the user.
Well, I think you have to say so - My view differs ;)

In my experience, anaconda is the #1 point, many people (ordinary users
and power users) are complaining about when getting in contact with
Fedora and is the #1 reason why they are shying away from installing
Fedora (When talking to non-Fedora users, the first question very often
is "Is the installer still the crap it used to be?".)

To "newbies" the GUI is "cryptical" and "non-selfexplatory", while to
"power-users" the GUI doesn't provide the features catering their
demands and clumsy to use.

> That's a difficult problem to solve,
> the result is the user still thinks they're supposed to be able to
> manipulate partitions.
IMO, this is a distorted view. People want to understand what the
installer does and to have control over it. The current GUI does not do
so and instead applies some magic which people have learnt does not do
what they want.

Ralf