F21 partitioning circus

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 25 22:22:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 01:57 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I refuse your premise. The feature requesters have no champion
>> offering to even create this hypothetical Expert Mode, therefore no
>> one is refusing to patch bugs for something that doesn't even exist.
>

> Just to be clear, do you mean "I refuse to accept your premise" or "I refute
> your premise?"

The former.

> If the former, there's no need to continue this thread
> because you're completely unwilling to accept the possibility that you might
> be wrong;

No in fact I love being wrong, it means I get to learn something new
and I value that more than being right. But shadenfreude is delicious,
so I also like causing dissonance in others when I think they're
wrong.

In this case, your premise is refused because it hinges on something
that is false: "refusing to patch bugs if
you're using Expert Mode".  What bugs? What refusal? What Expert Mode?

> As far as what corner cases I'm thinking about, when I first started moving
> from Windows to Linux I had a very odd partitioning layout for Windows,
> because it allowed me to isolate various projects from each other and limit
> the disk space they used.  At that time, it was easy to accommodate this
> when I installed Linux, but I'm very uncertain if I could get it to do what
> I want today.

So 75+ emails on a thread about how the installer can't do what you
want, and it's actually based on uncertainty? You need more Pai Mei in
your life. I have obviously been way, way too diplomatic and patient.

>  For me, this is purely academic as that disk's been archived
> and I no longer need that weird layout, but it's left me very well aware
> that One Size Doesn't Fit All and we shouldn't pretend that it does.

>From the very start I said the installer UI should be more use case
oriented to help users get optimized layouts, NOT ONE SIZE FITS ALL,
while also not requiring they be experts in leveraging Linux's
advanced storage technologies. I'm arguing against both one size fits
all, and "let's give users razor blades and tell them to go play on
the freeway and then blame them for their own mistakes, and so they
can go suck on eggs."

--
Chris Murphy