Fedora 20: After running yum update the Mate Terminal doesn't start anymore

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Fri Feb 27 03:09:53 UTC 2015

> On 02/27/15 09:03, Jim Lewis wrote:
>>   Since I fully expect to have no terminals when I finally reboot I have
>> opened Bug 1196472 for this issue. They have already begun to look at
>> the problem.
>
> FWIW, at times I've experienced "weird" things after updates.  The latest
> one was segfaults in ibus after an update.  Simply logging out and logging
> back in has always fixed this sort of thing.
>
> Also, I happen to have an F20 VM with multiple desktops installed but not
> updated in quite some time.  I just stated the VM, logged in as a MATE
> user and updated.  I was not able to recreate the problem you're seeing.

Hi Ed,

  Thanks for trying that out. I don't expect that many people have seen
this problem or else I would have found it during my search. And,
there's still a good chance a reboot will solve it. If only I wasn't
such a big wuss ...

  I have found one more data point: I noticed I could open another
terminal from a root session but not a guest session. Turns out the
DISPLAY variable needs to be set first. I exported it to ":0.0" and a
guest terminal will now come up when I run mate-terminal &.

Jim Lewis