chrony lan -

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Jan 3 22:53:19 UTC 2015

On 01/04/15 06:21, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 01/03/15 16:39, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 01/04/15 01:27, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> If I block WAN connection to a server will it find a time reference on the LAN? There's usually a workstation connected and getting it's clock updated but it looks like the server is not? I haven't found the answer in the man pages ... I was looking for a configuration setting perhaps.
>> The configuration file for chronyd can be found by consulting the man page for chronyd.
>>
>>         If no configuration commands are specified on the command line,  chronyd
>>         will   read   the   commands   from   the  configuration  file  (default
>>         /etc/chrony.conf).
>>

> Yes, I've looked at that but it's not clear to me.
>
> # Allow NTP client access from local network.
> #allow 192.168/16
>
> Will uncommenting this allow the server to find a time sync signal on the LAN? Even the router keeps time so it seems there should be a way other than keeping the server connected to the internet for time alone? It seems I should be able to tell it to get it's time from 192.168.1.1 [the router].

My read of your request is this....

You have a system for which WAN access is blocked.  So it can't contact an ntp server on outside of your LAN for time synchronization.

In that case, *if* you have a local system server as a time source you need to set the "server" parameter in the config file to tell chronyd what time sources to contact.  If your router can also act as an ntp server you can point to it.