f21 - dead.letter

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jan 4 14:36:33 UTC 2015

On 01/04/2015 08:44 AM, jarmo wrote:
> Sun, 04 Jan 2015 08:06:59 -0500
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> kirjoitti:
>
>> Well, still no mail.  Something else is needed.  The dead.letter in
>> /root ends with:
>   You need create aliases.db which goes as
>
> alternatives --config mta, choose number 2 (/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix)

I tried this:

# alternatives --config mta, choose number 2 (/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix)
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

So I thought perhaps the parenthetical portion was a comment so:

# alternatives --config mta, choose number 2
alternatives version 1.3.63 - Copyright (C) 2001 Red Hat, Inc.
This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public License.

                     [--initscript <service>]
        alternatives --remove <name> <path>
        alternatives --auto <name>
        alternatives --config <name>
        alternatives --display <name>
        alternatives --set <name> <path>
        alternatives --list

common options: --verbose --test --help --usage --version
                 --altdir <directory> --admindir <directory>

So still not quite right...

> Then, as a root or with sudo, give command newaliases, ofcource you ave
> edit /etc/aliases file #person who gets root mail, pointing to some
> user.

This part I had.

> Then restart postfix.service. You can testsystem with echo test |
> mail -s "test message" root in console...

As soon as the alternative is set.  Though it would be nice if they
distribute postfix with the base install, then this was already
handled...  Perhaps a bug report after I get it working.