Nouveau driver is fast in Fedora 21 -_-

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jan 6 15:31:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 20:46:09 +1100,
  Stephen Morris <samorris at netspace.net.au> wrote:
>On 01/06/2015 08:32 PM, poma wrote:
>It has always been my understanding that the proprietary drivers make
>extensive use of the video cards hardware acceleration features where
>available, whereas the nouveau driver never has.

That is incorrect. Nouveau does do 3D acceleration. Depending on the
card it doesn't take advantage of everything, particularly reclocking
and power management. (Though that is improving.) For very new cards
some reverse engineering may need to be done before the card is very
usable. You can check the status of support at:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/