(SOLVED) Trouble playing MP4 videos under Fedora 21 -- Gstreamer thinks a codec is missing which is actually installed

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 07:37:21 UTC 2015

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 10:07:30 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-01-07 at 09:19 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > MP4 videos played OK under Fedora 20, but when I attempt to play one
> > under Fedora 21, I get a popup from Dragon Player (KDE's default video
> > player).
> >         Dragon Player requires additional plugins for this operation
> >         MPEG-4 AAC decoder
> >         MPEG-4 Video decoder
> >
> >         The following plugins are required.  Do you want to search for
> >         these now?
> Gstreamer's search system doesn't seem to work properly.  Yum reports:
>
>                             gstreamer1-libav
>                                 Missing
>                       gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free
>                                Installed
>                         gstreamer1-bad-freeworld
>                                 Missing
>                         gstreamer1-plugins-good
>                                Installed
>

> When I install the "Missing" packages, things work much better.
>
> Where should the bug be reported?

Your problem description sounds much like a corner-case where a set of
packages to be installed is rejected because at least one of the packages
is installed already. As why packages that are installed already are
added to the list of what is missing, dunno. It wouldn't hurt to ask
the PackageKit maintainers about it.

  $ rpm -qi PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin|grep ^So
  Source RPM  : PackageKit-1.0.3-4.fc21.src.rpm

http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/PackageKit