Cannot boot laptop due to video driver

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Fri Jan 16 06:20:35 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am trying to help my child whom is across the country repair their
laptop after installing the wrong video driver.  They can boot into
emergency mode but not any of the other kernels.

During booting into the system, the boot process stops close to the
point of starting KDM.

We tried the following the guides on the net to remove the bad package
and keep getting stuck.

Tried to modify grub2 during boot to try booting into single mode and
that didn't work or we put the "single" in the wrong place.

A link that I can send them on how to use yum to remove the driver from
emergency mode or get into single user mode would be appreciated.

Either that or instructions on how to do either.

I told them to ask around the computer club as someone there might be
able to help them instead of me trying over the phone.

Current Fedora documentation for using the rescue mode is very sparse.

Tried the procedures on this page with no success.  They said that they
couldn't get the chroot command to work.  They may have typed something
wrong because it was very late.  Going to deal with it tomorrow (Friday).

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/rescuemode_drivers.html