Fedora-21 firewall advice?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Jan 17 14:16:33 UTC 2015

On 01/17/15 21:41, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that there are two entirely different
> versions of firewall in Fedora-21? I've been looking at
>
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD#Dynamic_firewall_with_FirewallD>
>
> and it seems I have to choose between systemd (dynamic) firewall
> and iptables (static) firewall?
>
> I'm presently using shorewall with iptables.
> Can shorewall be used with firewalld?
>
> I'm surprised that I have never seen an article starting
> "In Fedora 21 you will have to choose between firewalld and iptables."
> Or have I completely misunderstood the situation?

In the link you provide above you do see...

"The actual static firewall model with system-config-firewall and lokkit will still be available and usable, but not at the same time as the daemon is running. The user or admin can decide which firewall solution should be used by enabling the corresponding services."

FWIW, even firewalld does use "iptables", just in a manner which allows dynamic changes without having to unload/reload kernel modules.