End of 32-bit support?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jan 20 02:24:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 02:12:23 +0000 (UTC)
Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:

> I recently read an interesting article recently that suggested that
> Fedora 23 might be 64-bit only:
>
> See:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-23-64-bit-Proposal

Note that this is all from a blog post. :)

There's not been any formal proposal, or even discussion on the devel
list. Phoronix seems to be picking up any scrap of news. I guess it's
flattering that Fedora is worth the scrutiny.

> It's not a big deal to me -- all of my boxes are fairly modern.
> However, I thought one of the big selling points of linux in general
> is that you could run it on just about anything, including old,
> obsolete boxes.

Sure, but sometimes it's hard to target both ends of the spectrum.

> I've never been involved in doing packaging, etc., and I started
> thinking...
>
> How hard is it to make a 32-bit distro if you are making a 64-bit one
> anyway?  I guess in the back of my mind I sorta assumed it was
> scripted and automatic, so it just meant running some script twice
> rather than once.
>
> Is it a tremendous hassle to make a 32-bit distro if you are making a
> 64-bit one anyway?

Well, as noted it's N as many builds to build, sync around, download
and test. Sometimes there are bugs only on one arch. You have to try
and seperate things like compiler flags, etc.

kevin