End of 32-bit support?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 16:07:24 UTC 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 15:53, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20.01.2015 03:24, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 02:12:23 +0000 (UTC)
>> Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I recently read an interesting article recently that suggested that
>>> Fedora 23 might be 64-bit only:
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-23-64-bit-Proposal
>>
>> Note that this is all from a blog post. :)
>>
>> There's not been any formal proposal, or even discussion on the devel
>> list. Phoronix seems to be picking up any scrap of news. I guess it's
>> flattering that Fedora is worth the scrutiny.
>

> Is this your professional or personal conclusion?

You might say it's Phoronix's.

Leader: "An ambitious proposal is seeking to make Fedora 23 -- the
Linux distribution release due out around October -- 64-bit-only for
both x86 and ARM architectures."

Concluding: "although no official proposal has yet to be submitted and
likely wouldn't be approved by FESCo for Fedora 23.

RHEL does not support 32bit at this point anyway, though Fedora does.
And it's been pointed out that OLPC represents a very large installed
base of x86 systems.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/14.1.0

So far as I know raspberry pi is also 32bit ARM. While Pidora is a
remix rather than official Fedora dropping that would be similarly
getting rid of a chunk of users.

There has been some discussion on the dev list about 32 bit support in
relation to changes to PIE (position independent execution) and i686,
which is turning up people who are still using it.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk