Xorg display locks after idle time

Alex Regan mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 17:56:37 UTC 2015

Hi,
I have a fedora21 box and periodically the display stops responding. The
display on the monitor is blank, and trying to wake it again with the
mouse or keyboard is not successful.

I can VNC into the system, and while the screensaver is on with the
clock in the center, the clock does continue to update.

It's like my keystrokes aren't being acknowledged, I'd say.

I can access the system remotely via ssh. I've tried killing Xorg, but
nothing changes. It just comes back in this screensaver mode and the
monitor is still unresponsive.

I'm using the default driver that's chosen at install time for an ATI
Radeon chipset.

I've looked through the Xorg.9.log file and there is nothing indicating
any type of helpful error message.

How can I troubleshoot this further? Perhaps it's a known problem?

Thanks,
Alex