Two independent SSHD processes?

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Wed Jan 21 00:20:35 UTC 2015

I'd like to run two SSH daemons on the same machine. They will listen on
different ports and have other differences in their configuration. I
want these two daemons to be independent of each other: either can run
while the other is stopped. I need to do this for recent (systemd)
machines and for older ones (SysV).

I'm finding that, although the SSH daemon records its PID in a file,
that file is not configurable. Consequently, it seems that stopping one
of the daemons causes the other to also stop. Same for starting one.

Here is the procedure I'm using to setup the second daemon on SysV. (The
first one is the standard daemon normally running. I haven't tried yet
on systemd.)

cd /usr/sbin; ln -s sshd xsshd
cd /etc/pam.d; ln -s sshd xsshd
cp /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd /etc/rc.d/init.d/xsshd
# edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/xsshd to reference a different config file
# and the new program name, xsshd
chkconfig --add xsshd

I realize that I might be able to workaround these difficulties, or some
of them, by revising the standard system control files. I'd like to
avoid doing that and just fit within the Fedora framework. Is that
likely to be possible?
--
Dave Close