End of 32-bit support?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 21 04:20:49 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 10:38 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 01/20/2015 10:52 AM, Temlakos wrote:
>> Does this mean Skype will no longer be available in this platform?
>
> No.  There hasn't been a proposal to remove 32 bit support from the 64
> bit release.  The proposal, which is still hypothetical, would be to
> make the 32 bit platform (the release with a 32 bit kernel, and all i686
> packages) to a secondary release from its current status as a primary.
As I said before, this proposal is silly non-sense. It simply is not
workable and non-feasable.

> Like other secondary archs, it would still be available.  The change
> would primarily reflect the reality that the 32 bit release is mostly
> still available because it works, and not because there are people
> actively working on it.
This perception is only partially correct.

The i386 "just works" until now, because it's a primary arch, which
means people are taking care about build-time issues and integrational
issues (multiarch/multilib), as a by-product of the regular
build-process. At the very moment you drop that, this advantage will get
lost and integration of i386 will require additional effort and
gradually rot.

Ralf