Ahh! did btrfs just explode on me?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jan 21 19:32:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Next you should reboot from Fedora 21 live media, and 'dnf upgrade
> btrfs-progs' so that you have btrfs-progs 3.18.1, which is stable. And
> use 'btrfs check --repair' in case there are any missing files, this
> should find it. After this, you'd update the backup again in case the
> first one lacks the missing files.

Of course if this is not root, you can just unmount it to do the btrfs
check. But if it's root, an alternative to usb booting is to do it
from the initramfs. But you need to make sure the initramfs contains
the right version. To do that, boot with parameter rd.break=cmdline
and then:

# btrfs --version
Btrfs v3.18.1

## OK Good I can continue, even if this is the 3.17.8 kernel, it's fine.

# btrfs check --repair <dev>
# reboot -f

I did this with a regular initramfs, I didn't try the rescue initramfs
which almost certainly will have an older version, probably 3.17.

--
Chris Murphy