End of 32-bit support?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jan 21 22:56:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-01-21 at 10:26 -0700, jd1008 wrote:

> I honestly do not see any reason to make so much noise about it.
> Where are 16 bit OS'es today? Does anyone want to go back to them?
> Not me.
> So, I think it is inevitable  that support for 32 bit OS'es will come to
> an end.

Of course it will end.  But there are probably still a few 32bit only
netbooks moldering in warehouses today that haven;t been spotted and
remaindered out yet.  The last 286 based PC was probably sold over
twenty years ago.  The i386 arch is gone, and few lamented it's passing
by the time that happened, same for i486 and i586.  But i686 is still a
viable thing and a lot of perfectly good hardware uses it.  Heck, the
range of Thinkpads with both a 64bit CPU and a 'real' Thinkpad keyboard
is pretty narrow so it pays to remain open to the option of a good 32bit
machine.

The problem with Smoogen's 'modest proposal' was that it was impossible
to detect the Swiftian intent since it was so in line with Fedora/RH
thinking as to be all too plausible.  RHEL already ditched i686 after
all and 'chasing the shiny' is almost the Fedora motto.