failed yum update, new kernel won't boot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jan 22 04:36:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> I tried "yum reinstall" for all the kernel bits of the latest (non-
> working) kernel, and it said "not available" for all but (I think
> it was) headers. What does "not available" mean here? I mean, it had
> just downloaded for installation a little while before, they've
> disappeared in the meantime?

It might be helpful to include the exact actual error message. Pretty
good chance these days the filesystem is OK if the system boots, but
it's not a half bad idea to force an fsck after such an event. Then:

yum clean all
yum remove bad-kernel
yum update

If it fails on boot again, then you'll need to get more info from the
failed boot if you want to use this kernel. Editing that kernel's grub
menu entry, and removing boot parameters 'rhgb quiet' should help
expose what the problem is. If not, then it gets a bit more involved.

--
Chris Murphy