F21 - Refreshing DHCP lease on ethernet

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 22 14:23:54 UTC 2015

On 01/22/2015 09:16 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 01/22/2015 09:01 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> It is past time for me to learn nmcli instead of using old methods
>> like ifdown/ifup as you said.  I am right now reading various docs on
>> nmcli.  I suspect nmcli may replace my use of iwlist and other
>> wireless commands I sometimes fall back on.
>>
>> So back to reading up on nmcli.
> I've not heard of nmcli, but it is on my system, and "nmcli c" shows my
> connections.. I'm used to ifconfig.. is that going away?

ifconfig has been replaced by 'ip'  So try 'ip addr', for example.

i was finally kicked out of my lethargy about ifconfig/ip with the
F21-arm testing.  Things about my interfaces just did not work right.
ifconfig code is 'frozen', I have been told, and new stuff may not work
quite as you suspect.

So 'ip' is the direct interaction with IP and the interfaces. 'nmcli' is
to tell NetworkMangiler what you want done.

I HAVE switched to 'ip'.  I can learn 'nmcli'  (I keep telling myself!)