Wireless can't ping wireless

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Fri Jan 23 01:30:03 UTC 2015

 I just realized that my wireless computers can't ping each other.
Wireless to wired and vice versa is just fine. The IP addresses (DHCP)
are all on the same subnet. If I switch to wired the computer can then
ping a wired or wireless. The computers can all access the Internet at
any time (either wired or wireless). I did some research and have
determined the problem might be my router.

  I use a LinkSys E3000 which I have had for a very long time. I checked
their site and looked at the Release Notes for firmware upgrades. No
mention of this issue and so I am hesitant to perform it (I did however
download the latest file). I got into their Live Chat and the guy said
since the unit is no longer in warranty I would have to pay to get
assistance. I thought about doing this, but he could not guarantee
success and the payment is not refundable. I thought that sucked and
told him so.

 So, does anyone have any ideas about how I might solve this? I am going
to be rather surprised if the problem is not the router. If it matters
here is my hardware:

Fedora 14 - wired desktop
Fedora 20 - wireless laptop
Fedora 21 - wireless laptop (or wired)
Fedora 21 - wireless laptop (or wired)
Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS - wireless (practically unusable because of Gnome 3)

Jim Lewis