despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 15:59:48 UTC 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 15:24:44 Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:29:46 -0600
>
> Dave Ihnat wrote:
> > But a better solution would be to use the approach suggested here:
> >
> >   http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1962617
>
> I'm pretty sure I spent most of about 3 days trying to get
> the "Bad User" gimmick to work and something I needed to do
> always didn't work right, which is why I gave up and hard
> coded the password in a script. Maybe it works better these
> days than it did when I tried it.

My problem with the suggestions made is that it removes the password
protection from the shares, which is not acceptible.  I know the users just
have to walk up to someone else's PC to acces their shares but that's a lot
more obvious than just everyone being able to access every share from any PC

The problem with installing startup scripts is that I would have to visit
every site and update up around 120 PCs.

I'm now installing Fedora 16 on my server and am going to re-do the last 4
days work