Best experience for high resolution touch screen laptop?

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Jan 23 18:29:09 UTC 2015

I'm a long time Fedora/KDE fan (since KDE 1.x days) and am just getting
familiar with my new Dell Precision M3800, and am experiencing a few issues.

1) You can go "too much resolution", especially when used in conjunction with
external displays. Default is 3200x1800 which isn't bad when I increase font
and icon size, but then it looks garish on a "normal" resolution (1080)
external monitor. Until I upgrade my other displays, I'd like to underdrive my
screen to 1680x1080 but that resolution doesn't show on the KDE display
settings dropdown - anything under max res is in 4:3 resolutions. EG:
1600x1200, etc.

How would I "assert" 1680x1050? I see this resolution when booted into Windows
so I know the hardware supports it. (This is the first time in several years
that Fedora/KDE hasn't "just worked")

2) KDE with Fedora 21 doesn't seem to multitouch. Is there a way to enable
this capability? Also, when using multiple screens, the touch goes to the
wrong screen! (when I touch the touch screen and the mouse appears on the
external display)

Is Gnome significantly ahead of KDE in this respect?

I've posted the output:
http://hal.schoolpathways.com/ben/dmesg.txt
http://hal.schoolpathways.com/ben/xrandr.txt
http://hal.schoolpathways.com/ben/lspci.txt