Why does Anaconda overrides user decisions?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 23 20:23:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:36 AM, Sudhir Khanger <ml at sudhirkhanger.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1. Anaconda changes X in sdaX. If you make a choice on order of /boot, swap,
> and / partitions, Anaconda changes the order. As long as layout is valid why
> does Anaconda has to change it.

The installer presents a mount point centric view to the user,
de-emphasizing the partitions. Some partitions arguably shouldn't even
be displayed at all, like EFI System and BIOS Boot. The logic for the
ordering is a little lost on me too, but it seems rather unimportant,
so long as the logic produces a bootable computer.

> 2. 4 primary partitions are allowed on a disk. If I do that Anaconda changes
> it to 3 primary and 1 logical partition. Why?

Using the 4 partitions as primary is bad practice because it prevents
additional partitions for no good reason. There isn't a negative to
having extended partitions, GRUB can even boot from a /boot partition
on an extended partition.

> 3. There is no option to create a partition and leave it for future use. How
> do I create a partition and not have to use it immediately.

It's a mount point centric installer. You can create an arbitrary
mount point, and configure its size and a file system. After
installation you can remove this mount point and its entry in fstab.

--
Chris Murphy