Virtual CD/DVD burner for Fedora

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 02:21:00 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 12:42 PM, Philip Keogh wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, jd1008 wrote:
>> cdemu is not available for fedora. I found its sources on
>> on sourceforge, but there is no info on how to integrate all that
>> into a single install file. As it is, it is way to fragmented.
>> Not clear if all one needs is the client or the daemon or both,
>> not to mention the other 3 or more packages listed on sourceforge,
>> If you have info on a fedora cdemu for fedora, please share.
>>

> The cdemu team recommends using alien to convert the DEB packages to
> RPM and
> then tweaking the resulting post-install scripts as needed:
> http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/project/
>
> You could also just download the tarballs and follow the directions in
> the
> INSTALL files provided.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdemu/

I found the fc19 source files and built them on fc21
without a hitch, and installed them:

$ rpm -qa | egrep 'libmirage|cdemu-daemon|vhba|cdemu'
cdemu-client-2.1.0-3.1.fc21.noarch
libmirage-2.1.0-3.1.fc21.x86_64
vhba-20130607-1.1.fc21.x86_64
libmirage-devel-2.1.0-3.1.fc21.x86_64
cdemu-daemon-2.1.0-1.1.fc21.x86_64

After installation, I rebooted.

When I run the daemon, it bombs as follows:

# cdemu-daemon -b system -a alsa -n 2
Starting CDEmu daemon with following parameters:
  - num devices: 2
  - ctl device: /dev/vhba_ctl
  - audio driver: alsa
  - bus type: system

WARNING: using CDEmu on system bus is deprecated and might lead to
security issues on multi-user systems! Consult the README file for more
details.

cdemu0: Kernel I/O: failed to open control device /dev/vhba_ctl: No such
file or directory!
cdemu: Daemon: failed to start device #0!
cdemu: Daemon: failed to create device!
Daemon initialization and start failed!

And of course, cdemu client dies:

# cdemu -b system add-device
ERROR: Failed to connect to CDEmu daemon:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
net.sf.cdemu.CDEmuDaemon was not provided by any .service files
ERROR: Failed to connect to daemon (bus: 'system')!

So, what's missing here?