Saving screenshots

Alex Regan mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 00:06:21 UTC 2015

On 01/24/2015 06:36 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/25/15 07:29, Alex Regan wrote:
>> I'm having a problem with tigervnc and would like to take a screenshot of the error message to file a bug report. I know how to take screenshots, but where are they saved?
>>
>> If they're just in the cut buffer, what app can I use to paste them in to? I'd rather not have to install GIMP just for this....
>>
>> btw, I googlged this question, and the only thing discovered was taking screenshots during installation, ugh.
>
> Running GNOME?  Using gnome-screenshot?
>
> Doing that, it asks you where to save it.  Default is ~/Pictures.

I experimented a bit, and alt-prtscrn and shft-prtscrn do save a file to
~/Pictures. ctrl-prtsrn does not. That's what I was using when reported
having a problem. I still have no idea where that goes, but it's okay.

gnome-screenshot does save to ~/Pictures, and using -i does
interactively prompt you where to save.

Sometimes I just don't understand why the defaults that were chosen are
used.

Thanks,
Alex