Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 01:46:55 UTC 2015

I have an Alienware 17-1 laptop that I would like to run Fedora linux
on. The laptop has 2TB of disk, 32GB  of ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
graphics, so I thought it would make a great development platform. I
inserted the Fedora live DVD and booted. It asked If I wanted to check
the disk, which I did. Next I started Fedora. It got to the point where
the fedora logo is on the screen, and then disappeared. The fans came
on, so I assumed it was doing something, but after about 5 minutes the
system appeared to be still in the same state.

In the past there has been an install image that is about 4.3GB large
that guides the installation. I cannot find an similar image for F21. I
have been away for awhile, so if this is well known please forgive me. I
looked at the documentation and did not see any mention.

Will Fedora work on an Alienware laptop? I though the since it was Dell
it should. If so, what is the best way to load Fedora onto it? Is the
fact that the live DVD failed telling me I am out of luck?

Thanks,
Don
|    Don Fisher                         hdf3 at comcast.net        |
|    865 W. Cresta Loma Dr.             VOICE: (520)888-7613    |
|    Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705                                     |